25 Jul 2014

Pinspiration :: Colourful Interiors


Source: 1 :: 2 :: 3 :: 4

Boyfriend and I are always in the process of doing up our rented house. Whenever we add a new piece of furniture or paint the walls a certain shade we always find something else that's just not quite right and it just becomes an ongoing project room by room until things are settled. We make a lot of furniture and paint second hand finds so among all the rustic looking wood we have and brick patterned paper on the walls, the house lacks a little zesty colour which boyfriend really appreciates. I like my walls white - not magnolia or off-white but proper plain, stark white - but we come to a compromise where we can. The living room is white, the kitchen is white and my office is white so far and even I've got to admit that while I love the blank full-of-possibility-and-light feel, it needs a little something.

I'm not brave enough to go for full on colour on the walls so I'm constantly searching Pinterest for ways to brighten up without a shed load of preparation and work involved. I adore the effect of just painting the legs of a chair or table a bright colour because it feels modern and fresh while still keeping with our style. We're not modern people in the typical interiors sense - we don't like black and chrome too much, glass topped everything makes my teeth itch and minimalist is not really a word used to describe me in any sense - so to just adjust little bits here and there makes my heart less heavy and more excited to bring some colour in. Of course, there are bright accessories and soft furnishings which pull me in more than anything else. It's so easy to add a few bright scatter cushions and a throw to a sofa to instantly update something that was looking rather worse for wear.

What do you think of using colour in your home? Are you a lover or is it not for you?

3 comments:

  1. I love this. My dream home is white walls everywhere, wooden floors,a grey sofa and pops of colour in everything else. I know what you mean by modern-but-not-modern. I love classic styles but I think pops of bright colour really do modernise things :) plus they make me happy! xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle & Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all look amazing. I want to find a way to display my wool collection as that will add a lot of colour easily!
    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love colour, but living in a rented place we aren't able to be as flexible with the colouring, usually some decoration with colourful objects has too suffice. Colour bedding and pillows is always a good choice!
    ~ K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! If you have a burning question please don't hesitate to tweet me @sheandlife_