21 Jul 2014

In The Morning

I've been recently learning to love mornings. I've never been a morning person with the exception of the rise of the sun after a night of absolutely no sleep and a lot of productivity in which I am a positively glorious entity in the morning (until around 10:30am). I'm learning to appreciate the peace, get things in order, take out the dogs before the hustle and bustle of the city begins and also to appreciate quiet. I'm one of those people who feels the desperate need to fill a silence in social situations but on my own I can live happily with my own, mostly quiet, thoughts.

I like to spend the morning catching up with blog posts, taking the dogs on a quick 30-40 minute run around the block (where I mostly power walk and inwardly complain about the pacing), writing that days to-do list, giving the dogs breakfast and a lot of fuss and venturing into the garden for a cigarette and a hefty dose of fresh air (terrible habit, I know). A quick shower with and a sort out of the washing later and it's usually time to start making breakfast in time for everyone waking up.

Most days I'll make an omelette with cheese and spinach but today I found some hidden gems that I'd forgotten about in the back of the fridge and after a quick dash to the local corner shop for some essentials, I made a big fry up. Usually I make loads and end up having to pile boyfriend's plate high with food because I just can't get the quantity down but this pleases the dogs who enjoy a few scraps of sausage and bacon in their food bowl mid-morning. I think they're bad for breakfast meats but really, the way they are with peanut butter is that amplified.

Once we've all had our fill around the table I head into the office to reply to some emails regarding The Pillow Fort magazine and edit some photos after carting everyone off to their various destinations of school, nursery or work but now it's summer and we have some holiday days to take this next week will be blissfully free of routine after 8:30am. I like to keep my morning routines as I think they really do define us and no doubt I'll write a whole other post on routines in general but it sure is nice to just potter through the day and have very few commitments.

5 comments:

  1. I can't have a successful day unless I have a successful morning!!! Breakfast, coffee, and blog-reading are a must. The people who can wake up 15 minutes before they need to be somewhere...I just don't get it! I need to wake up AT LEAST an hour and a half before I leave the apartment...I just need to mentally wake up and "Get with it!"
    ~ Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been experiencing the same thing! My entire life I haven't been a morning person, but the past few months I've been enjoying getting up early and not needing to rush through getting ready (although I'm still far from eating a slow meal, since I usually munch when I get into the office). Maybe soon I'll get extra motivated and get up an hour or two earlier to fully enjoy it :)

    Cat
    http://oddlylovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I got my new job that I have now, I'm TRYING to get into at least a bit of a routine! It's a bit hit or miss to be honest atm, but I'm workin' on it - It's one of those things, you know how awesome it feels to get up early and get everything together on time the next day, but, the night before, you still go grab something to eat or watch a movie at midnight despite knowing the next morning will prrrobably be a huge rush haha ...a work in progress!
    Great pictures btw - that fry up looks delish! Happy Monday :)

    Cat ♥ CACHOO JOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. I love mornings, when there's no one around and can enjoy a peaceful breakfast. Have a great week!

    Jasmine x
    For a Real Woman
    So easy Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds like you get a lot done before 8.30am. I am a bit of morning person but I feel like I could squeeze in a lot more activities before I head off to work if I was a tad more efficient lol. I love your blog header design by the way (newbie alert-found your blog due to last nights twitter chat :)).

    Mo x // Within My Locket

    P.S. Looking at that plate of yumminess, I now have to figure out a way to factor in hashbrowns in my mornings. It has been far too long since I've had some :D Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! If you have a burning question please don't hesitate to tweet me @sheandlife_