1 Aug 2014

The Boyfriend Style Venture

Source: 1 :: 2 :: 3 :: 4

Boyfriend is twenty eight and is stuck in a little bit of a style rut. He favours wide cut trousers,  t-shirts and trainers all in a size or three two big so much so that you can fit another human in there with him. He favours comfort over style and when he has to dress up a little more you can see the discomfort in the lines on his face. His go-to is a pair of black trousers cinched in to the correct size with a belt, an oversized white shirt tucked in and a tie and he does look good but often we both wonder if he looks good only because it's such a departure from his regular look as it's so ill-fitting.

So I'm on a mission to carve him a wardrobe that looks stylish and put together without being restricting or making him feel uncomfortable. Skinny jeans and slim fit trousers are out, anything with big brand logos are out and shoes will need to be plain and practical as he hates a good old pointed toe or a classic pair of boat shoes. Thinking ahead to A/W it's all about layers so coats, jumpers and boots are on the agenda and I'm turning to Pinterest for inspiration for the shopping basket while boyfriend has been browsing Espirit.co.uk for some new purchases.

He's built like a rugby player with broad shoulders and a broad chest but slim muscular legs and a lot of styles that he thinks look great on other people just don't suit him when he puts them on as he's a very different body type.
Whatever comes of boyfriend's new style venture, I've learned that dressing men can be just as difficult as dressing women. Their sizes may be better organised but when you're a body type that doesn't fit categorically into the standard sizing it can be just as difficult for a good fit as it can for me when I try to dress my rather annoying body shape.

But the big no? "Strangle-some scarves". They're a thing.

2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend is the same! I'm slowly helping his wardrobe head in a better direction. I got him a couple of fitted shirts for Christmas that are still simple but fit him well and inject a little bit of colour into his wardrobe. Now I'm trying to get him into fitted (but not skinny) jeans!

    Good luck hun haha! xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle & Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend dresses like a bit of a goof too, so I totally understand. The problem is I don't understand menswear very well either, so I'm not much help!

    Cat
    http://oddlylovely.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! If you have a burning question please don't hesitate to tweet me @sheandlife_