26 Jul 2014

Loving Lately #2

GILLIAN FLYNN - GONE GIRL
No doubt you'll have read this book by now and if not, heard about it. Gillian Flynn's books are good and while Gone Girl isn't my absolute favourite of hers, it's definitely one of my favourite 'recently' read books. I first read this about a year ago and couldn't put it down but with the film out this Autumn I thought I'd pick it up again and it's still as good of a read as it was on first reading. It's frightening for all the right reasons and not perhaps for the reasons you'd think upon reading the blurb. If you can read this, do.

IPAD MINI
I've fallen in love with my iPad all over again. There are periods where I don't use it for two weeks and when I pick it up I wonder how I've ever lived without it for so long. I use it for everything (blogs and recipes look so much better on there than on my iPhone) and I've recently discovered it for reading. It doesn't replace a book for me and I refuse to cave in to a Kindle but having magazines and e-books stored on one device is handy, I've got to admit.

TORTOISESHELL GLASSES
The same as my black pair but in tortoiseshell, really. I find the tone brightens up my skin a little more and isn't so harsh while still keeping the larger frame that flatters me the most. I'm always erring on the side of putting in my contact lenses but recently I'm quite happy wearing my glasses constantly. I actually think my face looks a bit weird without glasses but in the summer contacts are a bit of a love/hate thing due to the cons of dry eyes and faffing about but the pros of being able to wear sunglasses (I still don't have a prescription pair because I can't find frames I like).

RODIAL LIP BALM, MAC CREAM COLOUR BASE IN PEARL, 17 LUSTRE LIP GLOSS AND CRABTREE & EVELYN HAND CREAM
I've been toning down the make up these past few weeks considering I've spent a lot of time at home and in the garden so I'm loving these basics. A lip balm is essential for me as I get horribly painful dry and chapped lips whenever the temperatures are to extremes and this Rodial number came in a magazine but has stolen my heart. I love it's subtle rose scent and the fact that it feels thick and moisturising on the lips rather than a greasy film. MAC's cream colour base in Pearl is my favourite day to day highlight colour and while I don't wear lip gloss a lot I'm being drawn towards this impulse buy more and more. As for hand cream, I don't get on with many because they're so greasy and leave a film on my hands which for a technology lover is the devil but this Crabtree & Evelyn mini hand cream feels nicer than a lot I've tried. It's not perfect and it's still slightly greasy but it smells lovely and sinks in quite well so it's been in my handbag every day for the past month or two.

OTHER LOVES

BO - Oh, Bo. He's come right in with his little fluffy self and taken me over. I'm smitten and so are the dogs. Dex spends a lot of his time playing with him because he's finally found something smaller than him and when Bo's not eating, playing or getting up to mischief he's sprawled out in the massive dog bed. I'll get a photo soon because boy, he looks tiny in it!

BEACH TRIPS - I've finally planned a beach trip for next week and I couldn't be more excited. Expect photos of Barry Island (made famous by the brilliant Gavin & Stacey), feet paddling in the sea and me looking over excited with a bucket and spade.

AMERICAN HORROR STORY - Boyfriend watched the third season, Coven but not the other two so we've gone all the way back to The Murder House and are about half way through series 2, Asylum since we have absolutely no social lives and the evenings really do belong to Netflix nowadays.

What have you been loving recently?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I have to say that I've been wearing my glasses a lot more as well recently, and for once, will happily to do so! I read Gone Girl about a year ago as well, but think I might need to give it a reread. I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

    Beccy : Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I looved Gone girl, I haven't read any of her other titles which would you recommend?

    I have a giveaway running to win a designer scarf if you want to have a look!
    http://kumbear-xo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/keri-scarves-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharp Objects is my favourite novel of hers so definitely pick that up if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I just got Sharp Objects on t'kindle, I didn't mind Gone Girl but it didn't blow me away so looking forward to having another go with a Flynn.
      M x Life Outside London

      Delete
  4. The beach is a perfect addition to a summer :) I do like the colour of the lipgloss too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone Girl is absolutely brilliant, I'm really excited for it to be made into a film. What other books have you read from Gillian Flynn? I've heard lots about Sharp Objects but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

    Katy - whatkatydoes.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! If you have a burning question please don't hesitate to tweet me @sheandlife_