17 Jul 2014

Building Style

It was only when I couldn't see my clothes for various shades and textures of material that I realised that while I seemingly had lots of clothes, I had nothing at all to wear. I don't buy a lot but somehow I seem to accumulate until every storage space is bursting at the seams before I actually realise I'm a bit of a hoarder. I have dresses that don't fit. I have tops that are too damaged from paint to wear outside again. Yet, there they are just cluttering my life with their pretty patterns and memories attached to each stitch.

This summer I'm taking action. I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm creating a capsule wardrobe but I am getting into more neutral colours - blacks, greys and tans - so I can put outfits together a little more quickly with a little more flair than I have, well...ever. I'm the first to admit I'm not the most stylish of people. I buy what I like, what fits and what I feel good in and if it happens to be on trend that's a mighty coincidence; but still, I don't need six pairs of heels when I rarely wear them, do I?

So here are my ideas for outfits that I can mix and match at a reasonable price (over the next few months):

Dog Walking

The parka can be changed up for the cardigan, the dress for a skirt and vest or jeans - I need practicality when I'm walking uphill and through muddy fields so with minimal jewellery I think these would be great transitional items. In the winter I'd add different scarves, hats and thicker socks but the bare bones can translate through the seasons.

The Basics

I think these would be equally cute for a lazy day at home, running errands or even walking the dog - day to day I'm all about tights, fit and flare skirts and dresses and flat shoes with my arms covered (always - I have a real thing about them). The great thing is you could switch out the tops or bottoms on these and make a completely different outfit that would still work (maybe a blouse with the skirt and tights or the jumper with leggings and flats?) Also, Harry Potter.

A Little More

For those times you just need a little more, bring in the midi/maxi lengths and slightly more structured jackets. Even when I'm dressed up I never go for something completely out of my comfort zone so these toe the line quite well for me. It helps that I know the styles will flatter me and I also have about six different things already that I could make a kinda-sorta dressy outfit from. I'd opt for chunky heels with the midi length to balance me out because this one time I tried those little spindly heels with little to no support and it ended in tears in front of a mirror. I won't do that to myself again.

There are so many items of clothing I adore but when I try them on they either don't suit me or I feel like I'm playing dress up. I'm trying to listen to what I'm most drawn to which may be boring but on the plus side it gives me lots of room to experiment with bold accessories. What do you think? Do you have a smaller wardrobe full of mix & match pieces that you wear to death or are you like me with a complete and utter floordrobe of mismatched wonders?

5 comments:

  1. Great post, love all of the pieces! I'm currently doing the same with my wardrobe too :)

    Style Sunrise

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that HP jumper in my life! Where's it from??

    Also loving the chambray and black skirt combo. Very pretty! :) xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle & Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! I have too many items i've bought just because they are pretty that have no need to be in my wardrobe as i'll never wear them! I love all the clothes you've chosen too! I may have a clear out myself some time soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you included dog walking clothes! I love the stripey dress.
    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the denim shirt black skirt combo is so cute! I am hoping to streamline my wardrobe more too, and only buy pieces I love, that will hopefully last a little longer and actually suit the style I want to have! When we move (hopefully in the next month or so) I am aiming to cut down my wardrobe considerably! Two Hearts One Roof

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! If you have a burning question please don't hesitate to tweet me @sheandlife_